Mastitis- The bitch has got to go!
Humming along your breastfeeding journey, you meet her. You’ve heard of her and have been warned. Now you feel her presence in your life. She’s evil. She must go. Now.
“I felt like I was going to die. Fever…pain…my tit the color of a tomato. And trying to breastfeed through it felt like lava was shooting out of my nipple.”
- Fever of 101 or higher
- Generally feeling shitty
- Swelling and pain in the breast
- Breast/breasts: red and hot to the touch
What causes mastitis?
- Blocked milk duct (usually when your nursing bra is too tight)
Related Article: Breastfeeding Your Baby When You Are Sick
How can I prevent mastitis?
- During feedings, allow your milk to fully drain. Use a breast pump to do this if your baby isn’t emptying your breasts.
- Wear a properly fitting nursing bra. Bras that are too tight can constrict ducts.
- Change feeding positions each time that you nurse your baby.
- Keeping your breasts clean with sanitary breast products.
- Make sure that your baby is latching properly when breastfeeding.
Related Article: Breastfeeding Your Baby With a Good Latch
Below this section, you will see three absolute heroes when it comes to healing mastitis.
- Rachel’s Remedy: Organic heat/cold therapy
- Lansinoh TheraPearl: Alternate with Rachel’s Remedy
- Nizo Wear Serenity Healing Bra: Nursing bra with pockets to hold your hot/cold therapy above.
Mastitis sometimes requires an antibiotic, but not always. Whether you are at that point or not, the products below will get you through this while you wage war with the bitch of mastitis. Use them all. You will thank me.